Friday 29 July 2011

Field Mushrooms on Cleeve Hill

I went for a walk over Cleeve Hill and found these mushrooms and puffballs. They were in the same place as I have found them before. I find that the smaller ones are best as the larger ones tend to be "maggoty". I found the mushrooms to have the best flavour when cooked. The puffballs were good, but slightly softer and less flavourful.


It was the first dry, warm and sunny day for a while and I've never seen so many walkers, dog walkers, horse riders, runners and golfers on the hill. The quarry car park was full when I returned. Towards the end of my walk, I came across these dogs cooling off in the pond above Postlip.

1 comment:

  1. Heya, I live locally and am planning an early morning foraging trip on Cleeve Hill and the surrounds and would really appreciate any tips or locations on where to find field mushrooms and anything else?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete