Friday 4 October 2013

Fungi and Wild Boar in The Forest of Dean

I thought there may be some good fungi in The Forest of Dean. I've found some nice Chanterelles there before.

There were very few fungi. The most interesting I found was a False Death Cap. Presumably related to The Death Cap which as it's name suggests is deadly poisonous.



All my spots where I had found chanterelles before had been rooted up by wild boar. In fact, everywhere I went had been rooted up by wild boar. This may affect the fungi and they probably eat them anyway.

On the way back to the car I was walking along a forest cycle track not far from Cannop Ponds and I saw these!





A sow and her young one. They were hiding in the bushes along a busy forest cycle track but came out after I passed. They were after apples dropped from a crab apple tree. They must be getting used to humans!

No comments:

Post a Comment