Friday 25 November 2011

Back To My Favourite Woods

I wanted to go back to check the Chanterelles. My cold has gone now, so I should be able to smell properly and see if they have the apricot smell. Well, they didn't smell of apricots, so I am 99% sure they are False Chanterelles. Shame, I thought I had found the "mother load". They look too orange in colour and too smooth around the edges. In my experience, real Chanterelles (at least the ones I have found) are more of a yellow colour and are more rough or ragged around the edges.



There were plenty of other fungi growing though. More than I have ever seen in these woods. Masses of these which looks like a type of Clitocybe. More ID needed.



I photographed these because they looked pretty, growing on an old tree.


The following are two type of Clitocybe I think.





The holly berries are really abundant this year.


I think these berries are Nightshade. I don't know if they stay on the branch if you bring them indoors. Would look good for Christmas. Maybe I'll try them out.


My next trip is to try and find Hedgehog mushrooms. I saw them being picked on River Cottage this week and I know a wood where they grow. So fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment