Sunday 19 May 2013

St. Georges Mushrooms On Cleeve Common

The weather has turned summery, so I went for a walk over Cleeve Common. Along the hedgerow going towards the Golf Clubhouse I found some Garlic Mustard, also known as Hedge Garlic or Jack of The Hedge. It has a mild garlic flavour and can be used in soups and salads. Apparently best when it is in flower.



I then started the trek across the common towards the radio masts. At about halfway, I found some St. Georges Mushrooms. These seem to be very common as I have found them at a number of locations I walk in Gloucestershire.Quite easy to identify as there are very few fungi  up at this time of the year and nothing else that looks like it. It has a strong "mealy" type of smell.


There were also some large "fairy rings" where they were also growing.


No comments:

Post a Comment