Monday 1 August 2011

More raspberries!

Sunday 31st July 2011: I went to my favourite wood to see if there were any raspberries left. I managed to find about half a pound, but I think that is it for this season. That takes my tally up to about 3 pounds of raspberries from here. There are signs of other people gathering. I met a group of walkers and one of them said there were more raspberries at the top entrance to the woods. I must investigate before they are all gone this year.


On my way up to the raspberry canes, I spotted some dewberries. Not enough to pick for a meal though, so I left them.


On my way back through the woods, I stopped at a log placed as a seat. There was a small lizard basking on it. It ran off, but I remember seeing a wildlife program where they said wait quietly and it may come back. I waited and it re-appeared within 30 seconds. Then another one appeared on the log. They were very small. only about 2.5 inches long, so they may have been young.


I stopped at a hazel tree not far from the wood entrance. I was surprised to see so many nuts on it. I thought the squirrels would have eaten them. I have seen other trees where they have already been stripped
by squirrels. I need to go back here when the nuts are riper.

No comments:

Post a Comment